Pages

Sunday, July 19, 2015

What We Did in Edinburgh: Day 1

Fun fact about Europe: the sun rises way before the buttcrack of dawn. When I woke up this morning to get ready to catch our 8 AM train, the sun was already fully alive and kickin' at 5 AM. I'm not sure why it took me four days to realize this - observant I am not.

We took the train at Kings Cross to make our journey to Edinburgh. I was a little disappointed that our train left from Platform 4 though because I had really high hopes of finding the elusive Platform 9 3/4. Next week before our train leaves for Oxford, we will be on the hunt. 


Another fun fact about London: they apparently do not believe in trash cans (or "litter bins" as they call the very few and far between around the city). We grabbed breakfast while we were waiting for our train, but could not find any litter bins. And believe me, we looked. 

You also have to pay for public restrooms (or "toilets"). Why anyone would actually want to pay to use a public restroom is beyond me. My change has stayed safe and sound in my wallet. 

Since it was my and Kalie's first time to ride a train, I spent a lot of time looking out the window. Kalie decided her time would be better utilized by watching Arrow on her iPad. 





Once we made it to Edinburgh, our 3 minute walk to the hotel quickly turned into 20 minutes as we walked up and down the same street looking for the hotel that Google said was right in front of us. Eventually a very nice gentleman took pity on us and walked up and down the street with us inspecting said Google maps. We eventually found the sign hiding next to a bar, and he walked up with us to make sure it really was said hotel. 

We checked in and then went looking for a place to eat lunch. Little did we know that in addition to the British Open there was also a Blues & Jazz festival. The streets were packed, music was pouring out of the sky, and people were even resorting to carrying their dogs to make sure they survived the crowds. 


After lunch we walked through the city to take in the sights and observe the commonfolk. There are a few things we noticed straight away: 1) The city is built on different levels, so avoiding stairs and/or hills is next to impossible and 2) the Scottish like their booze. Even at 2 PM in the afternoon. 







We made our way to Arthur's Seat, and I convinced Kalie and Kristen to hike up to the top. I conveniently left out the fact that it was a dormant volcano until after we were up there. By the time we got to the top, we'd ditched our jackets that were a necessity only 30 minutes before. Hiking is hard work, apparently. 



We could see the entire city of Edinburgh from the top. It was spectacular and almost made me want to adopt hiking as a hobby.



Almost. 


We made our way back down the mountain and popped by the Holyrood Palace. It was massive and I wanted to go in, but at 20 pounds a person we decided against it. I should have just walked over and demanded to be let in. Because I'm royalty and all. 

Obviously. 

We resumed our journey around the city and stopped by a fudge shop because who actually passes up fudge? 





After that we made our way back to the hotel because the old people (Kristen and Kalie) were tired. I stared out the window while they slept and observed the Scottish in their natural habit: the pub. 


When Senior 1 and Senior 2 finally woke up, we made our way to dinner. We tried to give the restaurant/pub a go since it was close and convenient for aforementioned Seniors, but when we walked in we quickly realized it wasn't our scene. 

And by that, I mean it was pretty much a club, and we probably shouldn't have even had Kalie in there. Which was confirmed later that night when we were trying to get back to our hotel and two security guards almost didn't let Kalie and I in. 

You know, because we're 12 and all. 

We finally found a real restaurant pub that actually had room to move, and I finally tried a British pie. I kind of cheated though and ordered the Chicken, Chardonnay and Pancetta one. Because it seemed less scary. The pie was delicious (if a little big). The mashed potatoes, on the otherhand, were not. But then again, I'm not really a huge mashed potatoes fan. 

We returned to the hotel where we were lulled to sleep by the peaceful sounds of the crowds chanting Little Jon's "Get Low" and The Proclaimers' "500 Miles"... among many other lullabies. 

Until later, 
The Americans Who Will Eventually Be Returning Home, But Reluctantly

No comments:

Post a Comment