Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

What We Did in Edinburgh: Day 2

Here's something you need to know about Edinburgh: it's COLD. As in I should have brought my parka in the middle of July cold. It is also overcast and rainy, a fact that I happen to love. If you don't like overcast and rainy, something is wrong with you. 


After Senior 1 & Senior 2 finally decided to wake up, we ventured on over to The Elephant House (the cafe J.K. Rowling wrote quite a bit of Harry Potter). I'm a huge Harry Potter fan - but not like these crazy people. I prefer to keep my enthusiam under the guise of normal (and sane) behavior. 

Also, I'm too much of a semi-germophobe to put my hand anywhere near a bathroom wall - let alone write on one. 



Breakfast was delicious, and I can totally see how the place would be the perfect place to write a book. We need an Elephant House in Boerne where I can write the book I'll probably never write. 



After breakfast, we walked over to Edinburgh Castle. And by walked, I mean we climbed up and down stairs every two feet. I should move to Edinburgh just to get in shape.  

I prebooked our tickets online that morning, which is a good thing because the ticket line was crazy long. Whoever created the internet is a genius. 

The people standing in line are not. 



While admission to the castle was kind of expensive (20 pounds a person), I'd recommend it. I mean, if you like castles and history and life and all. 









We could have easily spent all day in Edinburgh Castle. There was so much to take in. We were on a bit of a time crunch though, so we headed to lunch. At an AMERICAN pizza place because Kristen and Kalie have issues. Coincidentally, that will be the last Italian-related food we eat on this trip because we are sick of pizza. And pasta. And the Italians. 


Actually, not the Italians. We haven't even seen any of those. The UK apparently really likes its pizza though as you can find it virtually on every corner. I mean, where's all the bangers and mash people speak of?

Nowhere. That's where. 


After lunch we ventured down to Princes Street Gardens, which was - by the way - very disappointing. There were supposed to be flowers, but it was just a very green field. With the biggest tree (and circle of dirt), I've ever seen. Besides wanting to curl up with a book in that tree, it wasn't very exciting. 

We also went to Jenner's since it's supposed to be an institution in Edinburgh. Not a mental institution like Kristen thought when I mentioned it. Just - you know - popular. 

I'm still trying to figure out why it's so popular as it was quite unimpressive. Granted, shopping in general is limited in Edinburgh so I can see the appeal. 

I could never live in Scottland for this reason. Where would I get my cute, totally-not-appropriate-for-the-weather clothes? 



By this point it was time to head back to the hotel to pick up our bags and head to the train station. It conveniently started to rain on us and almost turned the ice cream we just got into water milkshakes. Which would have been disgusting. 


Another strange thing about Edinburgh: they have weird ice cream. They call it "whippy ice cream," and it pretty much tastes like Cool Whip. So if you're into that sort of thing, that's a plus. 

When we boarded the train, I was pretty sure we were sitting next to terrorists but it turns out one of them has seen Frozen so we were safe. It's common knowledge that terrorists don't go around singing Frozen songs. 

Once I learned that, I felt bad because apparently I am judgemental. 

And paranoid. 


Until tomorrow, 
The Americans Who Don't Want to Come Home

No comments:

Post a Comment