Pages

Friday, April 19, 2013

Because George Strait Lives There

Ever since we started telling people that we're moving to Texas (and before when we were telling people that we wanted to move to Texas), we've gotten all sorts of comments.

Comments like, "Why on EARTH would you want to live there?"

or

"Why would you want to leave the most beautiful place on Earth for THAT?"

or

"I heard that the crime rates in Texas are horrendous."

or

"The property taxes there are astronomical."

or

"Only uneducated people live in Texas."

or

"I heard that everyone in Texas is rich and stuck up."

or my favorite

"Why did you get married so young? You have your whole life ahead of you!"

(Well, except for that last comment... That's just the most frequently asked question of the year... I tell them I did it solely for the tax break. Works like a charm.)

The Mr. is a lot more patient with these people. He explains how I'm from Texas, how he loves Texas, and how he recently got a job there. Then he tells them his life story in between...because he's wordy like that.

I just look at them with a smile and say "Bless your heart".

Just kidding...I don't say that.

It's really not nice.

Seriously, though. After about the tenth time, I started to get annoyed by people's comments. I really didn't want to hear them. I just wanted them to utter a vague "Oh, that's nice" and walk away.

But people, unfortunately, never do what I want them to do.

They just keep talking and talking and talking about everything they assume they know about Texas.

And the heat. The horrendous, "you're going to hate it", "worse than living in Hell" heat.

(Too bad they don't know that's exactly how I describe winter in Colorado.)

So, in an effort to save my sanity (and Josh's), I've decided to come up with a response to all of those well-meaning Coloradoans that won't offend them or make them argue their point to the ground. Next time someone asks me why I could possibly want to move back to Texas, I'll just tell them this:

Because George Strait lives there.

After all, no one could possibly argue with George.

No comments:

Post a Comment